The first four years of a child’s life are a prolific period for neurological development. In fact, by age four, the child’s brain is 90% adult size, and the structures responsible for all future social, emotional, and behavioral functioning are developed. Research indicates that for preschool children, emotional regulation, or the ability to control impulses, tolerate frustration, and delay gratification, are the greatest predictors of later academic success. Through the systematic application of the skills outlined in Universal Play Therapy, Christian helps early childhood educators support their student’s emotional development through natural and organic interactions during free play time in the classroom.
Christian provides workshops for State and National Early Childhood Organizations (including NAEYC and Head Start), school districts, community agencies, and parent groups. His workshops integrate current early childhood research with twenty years of experience as a practicing play therapist. He uses personal and professional anecdotes to highlight video demonstrations of play-based strategies that support children’s emotional development, followed by experiential exercises that generalize the skills into the home or classroom.
Workshops can also be provided remotely via webinar.
Professional Development Offerings
Two-Hour Professional Development Workshops
- Choices and Consequences: Effective Limit Setting with Children
- Supporting Self-Regulation in Children Through Challenging Tasks
- Using Self-Initiated Play to Support Children’s Emotional Development
Full Day Professional Development Workshop
- Supporting Young Children’s Emotional Development through Play
For workshop descriptions or a proposal for your program, contact Christian!
Christian serves Early Childhood programs by providing consulting services in the form of intensive staff coaching. The intensive staff coaching offers early childhood programs a unique opportunity to practice essential teacher-child interactions in the classroom with their students. This offering includes:
- Either the full day Professional Development workshop or the three two-hour
- Professional Development workshops that provide guidance in how to support children’s emotional development in the classroom.
- On-Site Coaching (in class modeling and coaching using walkie talkies and earbuds).
Ongoing follow-up (in person/remotely/email).
- A copy of Universal Play Therapy is provided to each classroom.
For more information, contact Christian!